Cabbage, Sausage & Ground Beef Fusion
This recipe is so good! I literally drink the broth when finished. The best thing about the recipe is its simplicity.
- 1-2 pounds sausage (your choice, but I love the standard pork sausage) the healthy fat is wonderful for your heart and the fat that cooks out from the sausage helps in the cooking process.
- 1-2 pounds ground beef (if trying to lose weight or stay lean I recommend 90/10, otherwise get the 80/20)
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 3-4 tablespoons KerriGold butter
- 1-2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- Sour cream as an add on (optional)
- You will need 1 large pot, enough to handle the head of cabbage, ground beef, and sausage. I use a 9-quart pot.
- You will also need a frying pan to brown the ground beef.
- Place frying pan on stove top under medium heat (5-6 setting)
- Place large pot on another burner and heat to low-medium (3-4 setting)
- Place sausage in bottom of large pot with 1-2 tbs of butter Chop up the green cabbage. Place in large pot over top of sausage.
- Brown the ground beef.
- While you are cooking the ground beef, stir the sausage and cabbage mixture. At this time add the remaining butter along with salt and pepper.
- Once the ground beef is cooked, drain and place in large pot with cabbage and sausage
- Turn the stove top down to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is at a texture of your liking.
- Serve and enjoy! This is where the sour cream comes into play. I love a large dollop over my plate.